Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Laser Hair Removal

I got my first treatment of laser hair removal. Here are some things you should know if you are considering it.

1. Make sure you're going to a place that has a machine that works for black skin. The laser detects dark shades of pigment, hence, a machine for white people will only mess up a black person's skin.
2. The laser does not permanently remove hair, but it permanently reduces it. I think it hits the follicle, making it smaller. When a hair follicle gets smaller, the hair that grows from it is thinner, shorter, and takes a longer time to grow.
3. You must shave before you get the treatment done. You want to do this at home where you have a nice razor and shaving cream. I did it at the office with a SINGLE blade razor and no shaving cream. :(
4. Don't use any chemical topical creams 3 days before your appointment.

The procedure was quite uncomfortable. I think the bad shaving job I did and having done it just a few minutes before may have something to do with it. At worst, you will feel a stinging sensation. If there is no actual pain, you will feel a surprise. The doctor/nurse practioner will move the laser to different spots and it will feel like a cold, hard blast of air.

Now, I have to use some special cream for 2 days before I go back to my normal skin regimen.

So, I got my neck, chin, cheeks and upper lip done. I'm excited for smooth, even toned skin!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...